Written by Admin and published on https://www.aussietreesolutions.com.au/.
Trees have been a staple of the earth for more than 300 million years. They’ve served as food sources and housing for countless creatures throughout time. Trees have been shown to make us calmer, happier, and more creative. Of course, a healthy tree is likely to give a nice boost to our home’s value when it’s time to sell. But what about all the little-known facts about trees?
Interesting Facts About Trees
Trees are not only beautiful to look at; they are essential to the existence of life. Trees produce oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, provide a home for teeming communities of wildlife, give us timber for making an infinite number of products and are in general, pretty incredible.
Here are some interesting things you may not know about trees.
- Trees are the longest living species on earth – the oldest tree on the planet is thought to be over 5000 years old.
- Trees help improve water quality by filtering rainfall.
- There are over 60,000 known tree species on the planet.
- Two mature trees can provide enough oxygen for a family of four.
- Trees help to reduce noise, air and water pollution.
- In a forest, trees can communicate through an underground mycorrhizal fungi network.
- A large oak tree can drink over 350 litres of water a day.
- Trees make us feel good. Studies indicate that being surrounded by trees can decrease your blood pressure, slow your heart rate and reduce stress levels.
- Trees can help prevent soil erosion and flooding.
- Mature trees are highly desirable and can significantly increase the value of your property.
- Areas that have a high number of trees are thought to have less crime overall than those that are devoid of green spaces.
- Dating a tree by studying its rings is called Dendrochronology. Interestingly, a tree’s rings don’t only reveal its age – they can also indicate the occurrence of natural disasters such as a volcanic eruption or a drought event.
- The largest surviving tree in the world is said to be a giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) called ‘General Sherman’ found in California, which has a Biomass of approximately 1487 cubic metres in volume.
- The tallest trees in the world are the coastal redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) – one particular tree called Hyperion in California is said to be over 115 metres tall!
- Hospital patients with views of trees are reported to heal faster and spend less time in the hospital than those without.
- The saying “knock on wood” comes from ancient pagan rituals where it was believed that good spirits lived inside trees.
- Strategic planting of just four trees on your property can significantly reduce your energy bills – some say by up to as much as 50%!
- Trees are cool man. An area that is shaded by a tree can be much cooler than an area that is not shaded.
So, now you know how amazing trees are – why not plant one today?
Original post https://www.aussietreesolutions.com.au/interesting-facts-about-trees/.